Monday 3 September 2007

Jammin'

Over the last few weeks I've made loads of jam; Blackberry & Apple, Blackberry Jelly and Plum Jam.

After I'd eaten a couple I ended up with 1.8kg of Czar plums - just enough for jam.

plums copy

Here are the fruits of my labours, I made 2 small jars, 4 medium jars and one huge jar

PlumJam copy

I'm not sure whether the plum jam will actually set - it seemed as if it was about to burn in the pan so I thought it best to take it off the heat. The blackberry jam and jelly seemed to behave much better at boiling point. I probably need to invest in a proper preserving pan. After searching for months for a jam funnel, I forgot I owned it and managed to burn my hand ladelling the hot liquid jam into jars ... doh !

PlumJam2 copy

Here is the Blackberry & Apple Jelly - I opened my first jar last weekend and it tastes divine ! I don't think it will last very long. If I can find some more jars and waxed discs etc then I shall try and make some more before the blackberries disappear.

Blackberry Jelly copy

5 comments:

  1. I'm well into my jam and jelly making as well at the moment. Made some more crabapple today, and will be venturing out to pick some sloes later in the week. One tip to tell when setting point is reached.. keep a cold plate in the fridge, pour a tablespoon of hot jam and cool it in the fridge for 5 mins. Run a finger through it and you will see if it is set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you put water in when you simmered, plums need a little extra to stop them from sticking before adding the sugar

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely making jam from the fruits of the hedgerows. It's like bottling sunshine! Love the pictures on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, I tasted the plum jam today ... it is really nice.

    I did add water with the plums, but I think I need a better pan for jam making

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. Well done you. I've just polished off a couple of slices of toast with home-made damson jam on them. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete