Tuesday 15 May 2007

Well it survived ...

here are the Yin Yang beans as promised - they are so gorgeous that I almost didn't want to plant them:

2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  001 copy

OH remembered to go to the lottie and water the potting shed plants (phew) and took some more photos - the growth in one week is astounding. Intend to plant out the squashes and pumpkins this weekend. Courgettes may well be following them. Need to get the tomatoes into their final pots ASAP, but unfortunately the greenhouse is nowhere near ready - doesn't look like I'll be able to use it this season.

Sweet potato
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  006 copy

Jerusalem Artichoke (please grow V-E-R-Y slowly until the peas are finished): 2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  020 copy

Pepper - Tasty Grill Red. My peppers are very slow away this year, have also got Gypsy, Tasty Grill Yellow, Big Banana & Redskin.
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  013 copy

Here are my Rocket one week ago:
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  015 copy

and yesterday:
CRW_2017 copy

Peas in flower: 2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  022 copy

Garlic has gone really rusty, must be the wet weather we had at the end of last year - it's been like the Sahara up there recently: 2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  025 copy

Here is my Blueberry bush - Sunshine. Seems very happy since it's been repotted.
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  038 copy

The flowers are so delicate - might need to think about netting though to protect from the birds:
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  039 copy

Ken's gooseberry bush which grows on our border - neither he nor I like them. The bush is bursting with fruit:
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  046 copy

We'll be eating our first beans at the weekend ... yum ! Will definitely plant them in November again - the ones that have survived the mouse look great:
CRW_2034 copy

Tomatoes, squashs and pumkins are desperate to be planted out / put into final pots:
CRW_2042 copy

Unfortunately the bluebell keeps having an accident, once its finished flowering I'm going to move it to a safer place:
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  060 copy

My foxgloves look like they are going to be as spectacular as last years:
2007-05-05  [Meiche] Allotment S70  068 copy

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how quicly your spuds have grown! I have some of those yin yang beans, someone gave me the seeds last year so I will be growing them this year too. The seed are really pretty, like you say, almost too pretty to cover over with soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent pictures as ever. Can you move Jerusalem artichokes once you've planted them or are they currently in a pot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leonie - I can't wait to try the potatoes, so envious of those who have had their first taste already

    Hi Rob, they are currently planted direct into the soil and will stay there now until they are harvested - really I should have thought about where to put them a bit more carefully. Understand that they multiple like mad and that I'll probably struggle to find them all - you are welcome to have some next year. Do you want any peppers or aubergines ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the offer of the Jerusalem Artichokes but I have some growing amongst the weeds - pictures in the next day or so! Love to take you up on the offer of the other plants, but not enough room cleared on the allotment or available in the garden ;>(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get your Jerusalem artichoke from? I have been scouring the garden centres but to no avail. LOVE the photos, trying to persuade my husband that we need a pond but without any luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiya Greenfingers, I got my JA from a lottie friend on one of the forums - you'll probably stand more chance of finding them in the supermarket than the garden centre - they look like small, knobbly potatoes. You will be more than welcome to have some next season. Apparently they are lovely in flower.

    Your path is looking good, I'm so impressed with your progress and although I can definitely recommend the pond you might find you get less done! I think your mum, or MIL, popped in for a look a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete