Wednesday 19 May 2010

My butt smells ...

actually it stinks ! I bought some chicken manure at the weekend and was advised to put it in a bag and hang it in a water butt and then use it as a liquid feed for all my seedlings & plants. It's only been in the water 3 days and boy oh boy what a whiff ! I'll probably end up with every fox in the area coming to look for imaginary chickens

IMG_1455.jpg

I've finally got some space in my greenhouse. I've planted a cucumber (Marketmore which aparently is supposed to be an outdoor one - eek !) and 6 x Roma, 2 x Golden sunrise, 1 x Gardener's Delight, 1 x Vanessa.

IMG_1454.jpg

My sweetcorn has been out for a few nights now and seems to be doing OK. I've got two varieties - Tasty Gold and Extra Early Sweet, so I've planted them either side of the greenhouse to try and avoid cross polinating. I've planted them in a tighter grid than last season to try and help with polination. I've also thought a bit about protecting them from the wind. Fingers crossed.

IMG_1356.jpg

I've planted 4 x courgettes:

IMG_1357.jpg

7 x squashes - I think ! There are some more at home, in the attic - not sure where they will go. Got 2 x Queensland Blue, 1 x Crown Prince, 2 x Turks Turbans, 1 x Avalon & 1 x Winter Festival.

This is a QB:
IMG_1420.jpg

I've planted 42 beans:

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

My peas are nice and safe in a pigeon proof cage:

2010-05-16   Allotment  009.jpg

My baby beetroots are coming along nicely:

IMG_1464.jpg

This is the first year I've grown Swiss Chard, I'm very pleased with it so far - hope the bloody flying rats leave it alone.

2010-05-16   Allotment  013.jpg

2010-05-16   Allotment  093.jpg

2010-05-16   Allotment  096.jpg


Even the roots are an amazing colour !

2010-05-16   Allotment  074.jpg

My potatoes have appeared this week - fortunately they missed the frost.

The recent frosts don't seem to have done too much damage to the apple trees - this is my crab apple:

2010-05-16   Allotment  085.jpg

remember that mysterious tree - it must have heard me saying this was it's last seaon. It finally blossomed - it's obviously an apple tree. So that's 5 apple trees I have in one form or another.

2010-05-16   Allotment  081.jpg


My Alpine Strawberry has survived:

2010-05-16   Allotment  109.jpg

Pond skater
2010-05-16   Allotment  100.jpg

A very UNWELCOME visitor - OH fed it to the tadpoles:

2010-05-16   Allotment  016.jpg

It was enormous:

2010-05-16   Allotment  040.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I'll draw a veil over the aromas from.... No, better yet, let's just not go there!

    Anyway, serious question (puts serious hat on) - how do you get so many photos into your posts? Blogger seems to limit me to Five.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woody, they're uploaded via Flickr, so it's probably something to do with size. I process them in 'Lightroom' or 'Photoshop' then export them to flickr and then copy them into my post using the HTML script.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crikey. Respect! Perhaps I'll stick to five!! But thanks for the info. Feels like something to tech myself on a long dark day with no other pressing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slug was a Leopard Slug which do not eat your plants. They prefer fungi, decaying matter, carrion and even other slugs over healthy plants. They also have an amazing sex life, try googling them. I wouldn't kill one, they are actually kind of cool for a slug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're brave with the chicken manure, not sure I could stand the smell it was bad enough when I dug mine straight into the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you upload five photos-then immediately go back and upload five more.....so you can have as many as you want. The difficult bit is adding them in the reverse order to which you wish them to be seen!

    ReplyDelete