Sunday 16 September 2012

Autumn is here

It's very hard to dial down my impatience to get started, having missed a whole season and so the garlic that was planted just a couple of weeks ago is just starting to appear :)

My baby leeks are starting to thicken - although a few have disappeared ! I'm investigating the culprit ... there are three suspects:

1. the super fat pigeons
2. kittie no. 3
3. bloody slugs

I've narrowed it down to no. 2 & no. 3. I've developed a cunning plan to narrow it further and they are now encased in a chicken wire cage. Beat that kittie !






































This weekend I've planted two enormous elephant garlic cloves. I've never grown them before and the chappie I bought them from has told me that they need a lot more feed than normal garlic. I paid £2 per clove (blimey) and was disappointed to realise that one of them was soft and mouldy on one side - won't have an opportunity to take it back to the food festival, so will have to cross my fingers instead. I meant to take a photo but forgot - the cloves were as big as the palm of my hand ! Need to order some seaweed feed now.

I've also got some globe artichokes on the go. I've potted them on and transferred them to the plot, where they appear to have some leaf mining insect :( Hopefully they'll 'grow out of it' - will have to google and see what natural remedies there are.





























Last week I sowed some sweetpeas and today I've been busy setting off my 1st early peas !! I've never been this organised LOL. Yes it is a little early for my first early peas ;) but the packet says October and we are only a week away. Next weekend I'll be setting off my broadbeans :0

Vic's cabbages, which were battered by the slugs & caterpillars last month are starting to look a bit better as they are maturing
































This is one of the raspberry patches. Vic has been told that the soil is too fertile, so the plants have just thrown up lots of green growth and no fruit. He's recommended that we dig them out, so that's one of my autumn jobs.






































This is the jerusalem artichoke bed - it wasn't dug out last year, so we think it will have lots of very small roots. You might be wondering where the plant tops are - they're in the magnificent compost heap !





























I think these must be Golden Delicious or a similar apple - the trees are miniature and there is so much fruit that it's falling off





























Another apple tree - not sure of the variety. I think I'll have to start reading up on grease bands and the like





























There are also three crab apple trees on the plot






























 I've been on watering duties for Vic's tomatoes for the last 2 weeks. The leaves are looking a little mildewy, but the fruits are doing well




































 He's got quite a few different varieties - none that I've grown before




































plum tomatoes






































 The ice plant is just colouring up





























and the bees are sucking up the last of the summer nectar
































The plot has lots of flowers






































Vic's hops are looking very pretty - not sure if there will be enough for a brew tho !

2 comments:

  1. Some great photos here Michelle!
    About half my leeks vanished - but that was because the rain washed the leeklings out of their holes and down the hill!

    The tomatoes in the greenhouse have been very poor, as have the cucumbers -tough skins and the chillies - not many! I gave up on the aubergines completely.

    Bit of a wash out in so many ways this year! *sigh*

    Drinks soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very fortunate that the season I've missed has been so dire.

    Hey when I was reading your blog earlier I realised that our new house is also an arts & crafts we think :) It was built in 1912 and celebrated it's 100th birthday in March this year :)

    drinks - tick !!! will email the boys :)

    ReplyDelete