Saturday 4 November 2006

Now and then

Well I've had my allotment for a year now, so I thought I'd post some comparison photos of how it looks now compared to when I first took it on (click on the photo to enlarge it).

We had to hack our way in and had no idea that there was a path running down the middle of the plot. Hopefully this winter I'll manage to finish digging the rest - under a third to do now.


















This is the view from the potting shed looking down the plot. I managed to clear most of this in time to plant my potatoes back in April. The herb path was added in May. I'm planning to cover this bed in leaves to try and improve the soil. The right hand side of the allotment is shaded by the hedge (which I'm in the process of cutting down to 3-4 foot high), so the ground is generally a bit wetter and not as good as the other side.

4 comments:

  1. It's very idyllic looking spot Michelle - more like a secret garden than an allotment...Love the way it is hedged in on all sides!...Good luck with Year 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I just found your blog and I enjoyed it a lot. the photography especially is stunning, and I'm very envious of your pumpkins. I also have a blog about growing stuff to eat (amongst other things). I've added your site to my links section and wonder if you'd mind reciprocally linking back to me. Just if you want to. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,

    Excellent blog and congrats on your process for the first year. I have had an allotment since Sept and know how hard it is to the allotment in some sort of order. Lucily mine was not that over grown.

    here's to another great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a difference year makes, I can hope my lottie will look as good in a years time, I'm off to read some more !

    ReplyDelete