Sunday 18 April 2010

There may be trouble ahead ....

Look at my greenhouse ... it is bursting at the seams and then some. The shop greenhouse is also bursting at the seams and I've farmed out another 7 blue trays filled with beans to another greenhouse temporarily. Yes indeed, those blue trays are stacked .... we're still on plan A - germination ! I have no idea what plan B is once germination takes place. OMG ... breathe, breathe !

IMG_0304

My cabbages, cauliflowers & broccoli have been braving the sun today ... I was toying with the idea of starting to harden them off, but having watched the TV tonight and seen all the frost that has been forecast next week I'm so pleased I didn't:

red cabbage

... and here is my secret weapon. Du-dur-durrr ! It's a pigeon cage :) Well actually it's a cage for my lovely brassicas and hopefully the flying rats won't be enjoying a buffet a la duck this year.

pigeoncage

Here are the fabled Okra plants ... all destined for the plant sale, hopefully my fellow allotmenters will be up for a challenge !

Okra

These squashes are also destined for the plant sale. I spent Saturday potting them on amongst lots of other stuff:

squashes

This Queensland Blue is destined for my plot ... not sure yet where everything is going to go:

QueenslandBlueSquash

My Swiss Chard is looking lovely ... wonder if I'll like it ?

Swiss Chard

Wow, my first tray of sweetcorn has appeared ... not a meece in sight !

sweetcorn2

Here are my lovely peas ... again not a meece in sight. Hmmm, this season is going too well so far ...

pea

After spending all day yesterday potting on and sowing and then another two hours this morning sowing in the Shop greenhouse, I'd run out of excuses and it was time to make a start on the jungle. It has taken around 4.5 hours to dig this tiny bit of earth - and that's the reasonably easy bit, ie, I've already cleared it twice, or was that three times, I've lost count. Let this be a lesson to all you newbies ... think, think THINK carefully about where to toss the weeds when you first clear your plot !

newbed2

new bed

My rhubarb plants are finally looking like rhubarb and not some weird alien species:

rhubarb

The frogspawn has hatched and the pond is once again filled with wriggling little tadpoles:

tadpoles

King cup is looking lovely:

kingcup

This is naught Kinder ... he is on top of the kitchen cupboards, worrying a poor fly up in the sky light. Eventually he did what all cats do and forgot where he was and jumped ... he had a very ungraceful landing !

Kinder

5 comments:

  1. All your plants are looking about four times as big as mine I am jelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything is looking great, never had any luck with Okra, not bothering this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on getting your Okra even that far! I keep trying but they just need so much heat! You will love the Queensland blue pumpkins, I grew them last year and they are one of the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the seed sowing but the potting on can give me a bit of a backache after a while. You've had your work cut out.

    The pigeon cage is a great investment in time and a nessecity on our plot. No point in growing stuff to make the vermin fat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Now that is a lot of seedlings!! And they're looking great!

    ReplyDelete