Sunday 12 June 2011

After the rain ...

... comes the drought ! Areas of East Anglia are in drought, with parts of the Midlands, South West and South East in a "near-drought" state. With that in mind I took the opportunity yesterday to fill up my water butts ... no mean feat as half the brass taps were recently nicked from the site ! Just as I finished the heavens opened ... ah the irony :)

It's been my first chance to have a proper look at my veggies since the gales. Everything looks much better than I thought it would. My sweetcorn is a bit yellow, but otherwise it is growing well. Am beginning to have doubts about how closely I've planted it - oh well, too late now !



The borlottos are starting to grow again thank goodness ... just look at those weed seedlings that are sprouting :(



Where do weeds come from ... how come it's only ever my plot that's covered in weeds. I have spent most of the morning weeding my carrots ... it was touch and go for a while, but we made it :) Three varieties (I think - oh for labels haha).



I've started to dig up my garlic - I'm really pleased with them, the bulbs are huge ! Having dug them up - in the rain (what was I thinking), I need to dry them out ... only I knocked down my brick greenhouse. Doh. The first lot are in the glass greenhouse. I'd bring them home but they don't half pong !





My potatoes have just started to flower (note, no weeds :) )



This is Maris Piper. One of my roosters has also flowered - the rooster stems are purple !



My pea plan failed again darn it. Will need to hack my way in - there is a carpet path in the middle somewhere ! Wonder what everyone else does.



Here is my celariac ... now I thought that this was going to be a bulb vegetable, but now I'm confused as it smells just like celery. Must go and do some googling.



My last free bed has been given over to cauliflowers - 4 different varieties. I was drenched by the time I left the plot so I hope I don't regret not netting them !!! Do pigeons fly in the rain ? Let's say not :)



Bloomin' spinach has bolted and gone to flower, think the dry spell has been too much for it. Looks like it'll be headed for the compost heap shortly.



I took home some strawberries, florence fennel, mint (for pea & mint soup) and a lettuce donated by Linda next door.



Flipping ox eye daisies are EVERYWHERE !!! Have ripped up a huge armful and donated it to the compost heap, along with the comfrey plant that has collapsed with the wind & rain.



The plot is also full of foxgloves as usual - they are stunning as usual - dark pink, pale pink and white

7 comments:

  1. Celeriac forms a root a bit like beetroot.

    Your garlic looks far far better than ours - I think ours is going to be pathetic this year.

    We had our brass taps stolen earlier in the year too and the council have replaced them with plastic ones. With only about 30 taps on site I can't imaging it was worth the effort to cut them all off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that Sue, I was sure it was a bulb/root vegetable but it looks just like celery at the moment ... which is BAD as OH hates it haha.

    Some of my garlic has been in for quite a while - I might put some in in August to give it a really good headstart. Can't wait to bring it home - had to buy some puny supermarket bulbs the other week - they are tiny.

    Apparently the missing taps were only discovered when the surrounding houses lost their water pressure ... idiot thieves just cut the pipes and left the water running ! insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did the same with our taps but the water only ran from the pipe at the top of the site as the pressure is so poor. It's the same when more than one person on site tries to fill a watering can at the same time and if someone is using a hose pipe you have no chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your patch looks wonderful! The rain has really made a difference. Unfortunately the weeds have enjoyed it as well! Your garlic is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What variety is your spinach? Is it Reddy? I have tried to grow Reddy for the past 2 years on my allotment but it bolted every time. This year I planted it at home so I could water it regularly - but it still bolted before I could harvest any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Matron :)

    Carolyn - it is Bordeaux and yes, it has red stems

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garlic looks great, much larger than mine (but we had drought for all of March & April and then May was freezing cold).

    No surprised that brass taps have been nicked - apparently scrap metal prices are high at present.

    ReplyDelete