Sunday 21 March 2010

haha that'll teach me !

My beautiful tomatoes that have self sown in the greenhouse are not all they seem ! The second leaves have arrived and they very frilly and not at all tomatoey. Looks like the plants are Phacelia !! Darn-it. I should have known :) Oh well, they are potted up and ready for the plant sale.

The greenhouse is a fabulous temperature and the red cabbages, cauliflowers, purple sprouting broccoli & swiss chard have all geminated. I spent an hour this morning pricking some out - we were chatting about perhaps selling them via the shop as they will probably need to be planted before the May plant sale. The purple & red poppies, the giant sunflowers & the lavetera have just germinated. Not much happening with the others yet.

purple sprouting broccoli

2010-03-21--Allotment,-first-day-of-Spring--023

The weather was so lovely today I was seduced into planting my squashes ... hope its not too soon. The greenhouse is already quite full, goodness knows where everything is going to go.

Looks like I cleared the pond just in time - the first frogspawn has appeared ! Two froggies in the pond today doing a little bit of croaking.

2010-03-21---Allotment,-first-day-of-Spring--066-crop

I've planted my red onions - they are safely tucked up in the brick bed. I've managed to dig over another two beds, so that's 4 in total now. One of those had the Cara potatoes in. As expected they haven't fared very well at all. Most of them have critter damage. I've brought home around half that are either OK, or just have a little bit of damage. Doesn't look like it would have been a very big crop even if I'd dug them up last year. Note to self - don't buy as many this season !

I've weeded the rhubarb - it's taking a surprising long time to get going ... I may put a bucket over it and force it.

2010-03-21---Allotment,-first-day-of-Spring--079

OH cleared the area in front of the brick greenhouse and put some staging up for me - this will be really helpful later in the season. I'm hoping that he and his mate are going to knock down the brick greenhouse and build the 15ft glass greenhouse that I was given. Hopefully it will be in place for next spring :)

2010-03-21---Allotment,-first-day-of-Spring--048

Found a gorgeous little mousey nest when clearing up the rubbish - it's been crafted out of an old artichoke

2010-03-21--Allotment,-first-day-of-Spring--014-400px

The weeds are waking up :(

2010-03-21---Allotment,-first-day-of-Spring--073

Looks like we'll be having a bonfire next week - where does it all come from !

9 comments:

  1. looks like you'll have loads for the plant sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you've given me a real feelng of spring coming in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting mouse nest but I'm a bit out of sympathy with mice at the moment. We've got mice in our cavity wall insulation at home (hopefully not for much longer). Noisy little beggars they are too. Out at clog-dancing parties till all hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! my seedlings are at about the same stage as yours. Funny about those tomatoes, I wonder what they are. Still, it's great to get out and about in the bright Spring weather and get lots done outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After this rain it is all boggy again- now they say there is snow on the way...my garden is feeling confused!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah I heard the news about snow too ! aaarrrrggggghhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our frogspawn is well advanced, and I'm just sowing the sweetcorn which is always a tricky one - sow too soon and risk rotting in cold soil, sow too late and risk not having enough sunny days to get a good crop.

    Are you replanting your potato beds with more potatoes? What about blight?

    ReplyDelete
  8. your sowing sweetcorn already !! whereabouts are you ?

    I've put red onions into one of last years potato beds.

    The site seems to get patchy outbreaks of blight - it's airborne, so very difficult to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woody - my sister in law has squirrels in her loft ! way way worse than mice ... eek. They played 'old amsterdam' on the radio last week ... I sang the lyrics at the top of my voice (in my car of course) ! ...a little mouse with clogs on .. well I declare going clip clippity clop on the stairs

    ReplyDelete