Wednesday 26 October 2011

Food Glorious Food !

I have lots of cookery books - although I seem to spend more time looking through them than actually making anything. I've been busy looking up recipes for the last of the allotment goodies and came across my 'Cranks Bible' recipe book. I was disappointed when I got it all those years ago as it doesn't have many photos, but spurred on by a tray of beetroot I decided to make beetroot risotto. OH and I are currently in heaven. It was amazing. So good we made it for friends at the weekend. They joined us in heaven - we've pretty much got that market corned ;)

It was so good we scoffed it without drawing breath and didn't manage to get any photos ... sorry :) :)

Spurred on by that success, tonight I made Chickpea Salad with Coriander, Sunblushed Tomatoes and Haloumi (a very firm Cypriot salty cheese). It was even better than the risotto.

So good I thought I should share it with you, as if (unlike me) you have had a successful season at the allotment there are quite a few ingredients that you can grow yourself.

Here's what you do - you will not be disappointed, I promise you:

Into a serving bowl put:

2 cans of rinsed & drained chickpeas, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons each of chopped parsley, coriander & extra virgin olive oil, 1 crushed garlic clove (from the allotment - yippee), half a very finely sliced red onion - season & mix.

Now the recipe also calls for 100g of Rocket leaves ... but we didn't have any of that in our fridge, so I chopped up spinach - about 4 handfuls. Mix that with the other stuff. It also calls for a dash of tamari (but we don't know what that is) and a dash of Tabasco (but OH doesn't like that LOL).

Add sunblush tomatoes to your taste (recipe calls for 24 pieces) and then set aside to infuse.

Just before you are ready to serve, cut a 250g block of Haloumi into strips - brush with olive oil and cook for 1 mins each side on a hot griddle (to get lovely lines) - cheese should be golden & crisp on outside, hot & molten on inside - don't cook too long as it will go rubbery / tough.

Place on top of your salad and serve immediately.



We drizzled ours with Balsamic vinegar and ate it with a lovely baguette. Boy it was good :) :)

The photo doesn't do it justice, but in fairness OH was half way through eating when I suddenly demanded a photo ... hope you enjoy

4 comments:

  1. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+tamari

    ;)

    Have you considered a food blog, they seem to be all the rage these days, some of them do very well in 'review' items, awards, invitations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pfft .. some of us have f/t jobs to go to you know !!

    Celebration drinks to mark Woody's retirement (prob late Nov) ... must tell Nutty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very appetising. I do like Halloumi, although if pressed I'd prefer Feta (although that's typically a bit wet for grilling - perhaps an alternative definition for a politician!)

    Late November should be good for drinks. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to have stumbled across your page via google when looking for pumpkin and coconut soup recipe! I am just about to add a recipe page to my blog. Love your ethos

    ReplyDelete