Wednesday 3 June 2009

All aboard

for a quick tour .... June already ! gulp.

Here are my red cabbages, I'm a bit worried that they are a bit leggy, I can't see a heart developing and even though they have been netted, they had flipping caterpillars wriggling all over them. I also managed to snap one of them taking the netting off - doh !!
red cabbage

The Kohl Rabi have been munched even more than the cabbages:
Kohl Rabi

Here are my peas that I lovingly sowed into trays in the greenhouse and then wantenly ignored until they went cripsy !!! They are slowly recovering - in fact, I've been surprised at how well they've picked up. Must treat them to some seaweed at the weekend:
peas

These are my white onions. They look much better than any others I've grown so far. I think maybe I've finally cracked it (note to self, remember to push them under the soil when you sow them). My red ones are also growing well, but I suspect a couple of them at about to send up flowers:
onions

Here is what is left of my cauliflowers, despite being netted, looks like the dratted flying rats have had a feast. Hmm, not sure if they'll recover, they look pretty much munched now:
cauliflowers

I've given up on my peppers appearing and bought a nice plant from Wilkinsons instead. It is now planted in the greenhouse border:
bellLuteusYellowPepper

I also bought a nice little aubergine plant ... I know, I know, but maybe this is the year ???
aubergine

The first of my Aaron Pilots are in flower:
aaron pilots

Here is my Germidor and Christo Garlic. Both are looking good - must give them a nice long drink at the weekend, the soil is like dust.
GermidorGarlic

Cristogarlic

Here is my Rocket:
Rocket

and spinach - which also looks munched. The salad leaves have totally disappeared, so I'll need to resow those at the weekend.
spinach

The flag iris are always beautiful:
yellowFlagIris

and the big greenhouse strawberry is ripening up nicely ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm:
strawberry

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the red cabbage, they are just behave like that. They look as if they are not doing anything for months, then around the end of August when you are about to hoick them out for composting, they suddenly bulk up. They should be ready for cutting in September if my previous experiences were at all typical. Worth waiting for though, the colour alone is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netting - it's a pain in the arse to put up, gets torn to shreds when you try and move it, but is well worth the money... I'm considering putting it over the whole plot ;>)

    I've taken to throwing stones at the pigeons roosting in the trees next to my plot. Is this a bad sign...?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks GM, I keep popping into Quotidian to keep an eye on you everynow and then in the wishful hopeful hope that Dig For Victory is active again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob - the Caulis were netted !!(athough sides weren't secured)

    Its defo a bad sign they're roosting next door - LOL, do you have a sign on the door - 'all you can eat buffet, free' :-D

    ReplyDelete